Monday, November 5, 2012

Garden Year in Review


Dianthus - name unknown

I spent this past weekend cutting down the garden. I would have done so sooner except for the rain, our Florida vacation, rain, lots of other stuff to do and the rain. Putting the garden "to bed" pretty much signifies the end of the garden season for this year. Today the high was 5C and it's going down to -2C overnight (that's 41F and 28F respectively). It's darn chilly out there now, which isn't conducive to spending many pleasurable hours in the garden.
This past year I have started following a lot of garden blogs and besides having made many new "virtual" friends, have also learned to be more attentive to how I take garden photos. Many of their blogs and photos are so outstanding, they should be winning awards!! But I just observe and attempt to imitate.
So as a finale to autumn 2012, I would like to present 15 of the pictures I am most proud of.


Peony - a gift (therefore, name unknown)


Red trillium



Daffodil 'Tahiti'


Epimedium x versicolor 'Sulphureum'


Autumn crocus - Colchicum autumnale


Violets - name unknown


Old-fashioned Bleeding Heart - Dicentra spectabilis


Parrot tulips - a gift - name unknown (maybe 'Starfighter?')


Clematis probably 'Multiblue' seen on a garden tour


A vase of Ladies Mantle, Coral bells, Euonymus, Stachys byzantium, and Columbine


Climbing Rose - New Dawn


Petunias and Browallia


Pink Gerbera daisies


Polyantha rose 'The Fairy'


Pin Oak - Quercus palustris

11 comments:

Nadezda said...

Astrid, you really can be proud of such great photos! I love more if them, and the most are clematises, your nice Fairy, daffodils, bouquet with white aquilegias, and tulips!

Astrid said...

Thanks Nadezda!
I got many good ideas from your blog :)
Astrid

Jennifer said...

All very nice pictures Astrid! I like the bouquet where you used the Lady's Mantle- I never remember to use those pretty chartreuse flowers in my arrangements, which is a shame. Your mix of clematis is really nice. Are the little yellow flowers epimedium?

Astrid said...

Hi Jennifer
The clematis are from the front yard of a home on the Cabbagetown Garden Tour. Yes - the small flowers are epimedium. I have one w pink flowers too. Sometimes the smallest ones are the dearest to my heart :)
Astrid

Anonymous said...

I love your images today and like Jennifer, always forget the Lady's Mantle in arrangements even though I have it in the garden. Nice post.

Astrid said...

Hello Donna
I have learned a LOT about photography from you and Jennifer, so I very much appreciate the compliment!
I look fwd to reading your next post(s) about macro photography because I have hinted to my husband…ooops! I mean Santa!! about getting a macro lens for Christmas.
Thx for stopping by.
Astrid

Alistair said...

Astrid, I am very much of the same frame of mind as yourself. I have been doing my garden blog since 2006 but its only since joining blotanical two years ago that I got inspiration from reading other blogs. I am still far from an expert but take a look and see how bad my 2006 attempts were. You have every right to be pleased with the pictures you show us today, they are amazing, I would have liked to have seen the names under each plant.

Alistair said...

Astrid, I am very much of the same frame of mind as yourself. I have been doing my garden blog since 2006 but its only since joining blotanical two years ago that I got inspiration from reading other blogs. I am still far from an expert but take a look and see how bad my 2006 attempts were. You have every right to be pleased with the pictures you show us today, they are amazing, I would have liked to have seen the names under each plant.

Astrid said...

Hi Alistair
Thanks!! What I really like about your blog are your excellent photos and the amount of information you provide.
Good idea about labelling the plants in this post. I can add those right now.
Take care
Astrid

Irene Jennings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Irene Jennings said...

That was fun to see all your pretty flowers! I am already tired of my dead gray winter view and am at least ready for some snow to make it pretty again :-)

By: Irene of Seattle Landscape Design