Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Look what I got on sale!!


We had a light rain yesterday but that didn't stop me from wandering through a few garden centres. And one of them had cool stuff ON SALE!
I picked up 3 Iberis sempervirens (Candytuft) - a perennial that's actually a hardy evergreen sub-shrub.



It blooms these pretty white flowers in the spring, sometimes even before the daffodils come up.


Next I had read about a new columbine that Heritage Perennials was selling and I was lucky enough to find 3.


It's called Aquilegia v. 'Clementine Rose'. It's very lovely!


Heritage also had a very cool looking Martin's Spurge called Euphorbia x martin 'Ascot Rainbow'


Cool flower but the foliage is superb!!


And last but not least I finally got Brunnera 'Jack Frost', the 2012 Perennial Plant of the Year!!


Don't you just love getting things for at least 25% off????  I sure do!

6 comments:

Alistair said...

Fabulous plants, I planted Jack Frost in a very shaded position last year and it is fairly thriving and smothered with flowers at the moment. Not surprised it has been named perennial of the year.

Astrid said...

Hi Alistair
I had been putting off buying it since it first came out because they were charging an atrocious price for it but now the price has come down over the years and with yesterday's sale - how could I say no??? I'v always loved it. So glad to hear yours is doing well. Post a pic on your site next time!!
Astrid

Nadezda said...

You're lucky with Aquilegia'Clementine Rose'. I love it. How pity I couldn't go with you on a sale! Only blue flowers bloom in my garden now and aquilegia suits to them.

Astrid said...

Hi Nadezda
I'm glad you like the Clementine Rose - so do I!! And it would look beautiful in your "blue" garden. Thx for your comment.
Astrid

Jennifer said...

Lucky you! Bargains are usually hard to come by at this time of year. Candytuft is a great little spring show opener and as for the columbine, well you can never have too many of them can you! Jack frost has great foliage as does the ascot rainbow. The only hard thing I find about this time of year is trying not to go broke while saving money! LOL

Astrid said...

Hi Jennifer
You're right! I'd live on Mac n Cheese for the month of May just so I could have more beautiful plants in the garden :)
Astrid