Tuesday, September 25, 2012

First signs of Autumn


What a gorgeous day we have today! Sunny, breezy, no humidity and warm. Too bad I have a stupid head cold. Oh well, I still have enough energy to go out and shoot some pictures of how the garden is changing, now that it's very early fall.


My Sedum 'Autumn Joy" are at their peak: plump, pink and attracting bees like crazy!


Here's a great combo: Sedum, Black Eyed Susans (some in bloom but many are already black seed pods), plus a little bit of re-blooming Weigela



My polyantha rose "The Fairy" is just loaded with blooms - so lovely!!





Mauve-coloured Autumn Crocus have made their appearance in the front yard among the periwinkle



The Burning Bushes (Euonymus alatus) don't do much all year but in the fall - WOW!!! It's their time to shine! (And we ain't seen nuthin' yet!! This is just the beginning!)




Climbing Rose 'New Dawn" is still putting on a show (with more buds coming)


The Japanese Golden Grass foliage is starting to turn burgundy


And the Linden tree is just one of the many whose leaves will soon start to turn colour.

I am pleased to live in a part of the world that has 4 distinct seasons.


8 comments:

Nadezda said...

AStrid, I love your photos of Autumn colors in your garden! The same sedum blooms in my garden, I want to cut some buds and make the dry bouquet. The Fairy rose here finished flowering and still blooms in your garden. Is so pretty!

Astrid said...

Hi Nadezda
When the sedum turns pink, I know there are cooler days ahead. We often get nice warm weather through till end of October but the plants start changing.
What a great idea about making a bouquet! I may do that myself.
Astrid

HELENE said...

Hi Astrid, you have so many lovely plants in flower still. All my sedums have flopped this year, they are more or less horisontal all of them - but with lovely flowers though.

Astrid said...

Hi Helene
Some years my sedum has tipped over or fallen out from the middle. This year - they seem pretty healthy. Sedum really is a neat autumn plant!
Astrid

debsgarden said...

I love the sedum/black eyed susan combination! Fall is a great time of the year, one of my favorites, next to spring. Your roses seem to enjoying the weather, too.

Astrid said...

Hi Deb
Black-eyed Susans are probably one of the only flowers that look good when they finish blooming :)
And yes - most of my climbers only bloom once but New Dawn comes back a bit for an encore, so do the shrub roses and The Fairy is just as glorious the second time around.
Astrid

Alistair said...

Your Sedum looks great Astrid, ours this year grew extremely tall and collapsed in spite of the support. I also like having the four seasons although Summer here in North East Scotland could stand being a little warmer.

Astrid said...

Hi Alistair
Sedum is everyone's favourite in the fall! Grasses are my next favourites and that's the subject of my next post.
Astrid